Freedom Health Insurance Review
- No "no claims discount"
- Highly personalised service
- Options to have cash payments if you opt for NHS treatment
- Our independent review of the Freedom Health Plan could help you decide whether it's the right plan for you.
Freedom offer a comprehensive range of plans however to ensure this is the best private medical insurance policy for you, why not let us help you make a health insurance comparison by clicking on the "Get a Quote" button. The service is free with absolutely no obligation and it may just help you save money or find a more suitable plan.
Freedom Heath Insurance was formed in 2003. It is based in Poole, Dorset.
In 2015, it won the Best Customer Service Award at the Health Insurance Awards.
For your peace of mind, Freedom Health Insurance is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Types of Health Insurance available
Freedom offers two main comprehensive health insurance plans in the UK;
Freedom Your Choice Healthcare Plan
This offers you a specified lump-sum cash payment for you to use to procure/pay for your own private medical treatment. Alternatively, if you opt for treatment through the NHS, the policy will pay 50% of the specified benefits to you as a cash sum.
Freedom Elite Healthcare Plan
This is a more conventional private health insurance policy that will pay hospitals and specialists directly for your treatment.
Freedom International Healthcare Plan
This is a specialist and highly bespoke package of cover aimed at people who will be leaving the UK and living abroad for extended periods of time. This won’t be discussed further here but you can visit the Freedom website here or our "international health section".
What's covered in Freedom Health Insurance
As with most policies of this type, the cover exists to help with conditions that arise after you have taken out a policy. There are special provisions and exclusions that apply to pre-existing medical conditions and these would be discussed with you on a case-by-case basis (see further below).
Freedom Your Choice Healthcare plan covers
- Cash - If you choose to get treated on the NHS you will receive a cash lump sum OR pay for private treatment and keep any surplus or top-up;
- Fast treatment - helping you to find treatment at a time that suits you, without long waiting lists;
- Get treated anywhere - UK or worldwide. Whatever you need, we can help you to find the closest, nearest, fastest treatment centre;
- Alternative treatments - Freedom Your Choice will also support you in using alternative treatment providers;
- Cancer cover - all levels of Your Choice cover oncology tests;
- Psychiatric cover - Freedom Your Choice can cover psychiatric conditions including both in-patient and out-patient treatment. This plan is modular plan, allowing you to choose up to six options to enhance your cover.
Freedom Elite Healthcare plan covers
- Full inpatient annual benefit - get your inpatient and day patient costs covered and then pick from a variety of options to tailor the policy to your needs.
- Cancer cover - comprehensive cancer cover, including oncology tests, surgery and treatments.
- Outpatient cover - covers out-patient appointments (where you don't need to be in a hospital bed) including physiotherapy. (Optional)
- Alternative therapies - Freedom Elite will also support you in using alternative treatment providers such as osteopathy, chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy and podiatry. (Optional)
- Private GP, Dental & Optical - get cover for GP appointments, routine dental costs, optical costs and prescription glasses. (Optional)
- Psychiatric cover - psychiatric issues including depression and schizophrenia. (Optional).
There may be restrictions on cover, depending on your medical history. As with any medical insurance, there may be specific conditions and limitations that apply. They should be examined carefully in relation to your own unique circumstances and the options you’ve selected.
Things not included in your plan
These type of plans typically don’t cover (this list is not exhaustive and relates to the Freedom Elite product. There may be variations between this and the Freedom Choices product):
- Accident or emergency admissions
- AIDS and HIV
- Alcohol abuse, substance abuse and addiction
- Appliances, physical aids and devices
- Behavioural, developmental, educational and learning problems
- Chronic conditions
- Contraception and birth control
- Complications caused by excluded conditions and treatment
- Congenital abnormalities and birth defects
- Cosmetic or reconstructive treatment
- Critical care
- Dental treatment (unless covered by a selected option)
- Drugs and dressings that are taken home after treatment
- Experimental or unproven treatment
- Eyesight and vision disorders (unless explicitly covered by a selected option)
- Failure to follow medical advice
- Failure to take reasonable care to prevent disease, illness or injury from occurring
- GP charges and primary care treatment (unless explicitly stated as being covered on your certificate of cover)
- Gender reassignment/gender confirmation
- Hazardous and dangerous activities
- Hearing disorders
- Healthy tissue removal
- Infertility investigations and assisted reproduction
- Treatment without a GP referral
- Non-medical costs
- Overseas treatment
- Pre-existing conditions
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Psychiatric care (unless explicitly covered)
- Professional sports
- Rehabilitation, convalescence and general nursing care
- Screening, monitoring and preventative treatment
- Sexual dysfunction or SDIs
- Sleep disorders and sleep problems
- Unqualified or unrecognised specialists, therapists and complementary medicine practitioners (unless they are recognised by Freedom Health)
- Varicose veins
- Warts and verrucae
- Weight loss treatment
- War, contamination, pandemics and natural disasters
Existing medical conditions may not be covered
Freedom Elite will typically not cover pre-existing medical conditions other than in specified circumstances.
You will need to declare your pre-existing medical conditions and discuss with the provider which type of underwriting you want. You may be able to select a form of underwriting that will take your condition on as it is or exclude claims for it for a specified period of time.
Each case will need to be discussed individually with Freedom Health.
Can I switch my existing health insurance to Freedom?
Yes you can switch your existing health insurance to the Freedom Elite Plan, but not the Freedom Your Choice Plan.
You may be able to switch with no loss of cover by answering these questions:
- Have you or any applicant had any consultations, investigations or treatment planned or pending in the next 12 months (NHS or Private)?
- Have you or any applicant had any consultations, investigations or treatment in the last 12 months (NHS or Private)?
- Have you or any applicant ever been treated for, diagnosed with, or advised that they have a heart condition, cancer or mental illness?
If you are able to answer ‘no’ to all these questions, Freedom Health Insurance will be able to offer cover on a continuation from your previous insurer without any loss of underwriting
Some of the key benefits of a Freedom Medical Insurance Plan
- High customer service orientation (Freedom Health say that all telephone calls will be answered within five rings, emails responded to within two working days and correspondence responded to within five days
- Good, broad cover offered, such as the ability to decide whether you have treatment through the NHS, privately in the UK or abroad
- Choice of cash payment or conventional policies.
How to get a Freedom Health Insurance Quote
You can go direct to Freedom Health for a quote or you can use our comparison service through our partner Hannah Insurance Services who will look at the whole of market for you offering the same plans at the same price, but ensuring that you get advice on all providers plans that suit your circumstances and budget.
You could start by getting online health insurance quotes here and then if you wish call them on 01933 447251 to discuss your options and how they can keep the price as low as possible for you.
Or you can take a look at other health insurance plan reviews to compare before getting quotes.
See how Freedom quotes compare