Self employed health insurance
If you are self employed or run your own business then there is a good chance you won’t receive sick pay, so can’t afford to take time off due to illness; which is where self employed health insurance could prove invaluable.
Compare health insurance quotes
What is self employed health insurance?
Private health insurance gives you control over how, where, when and by whom you are treated in the event of a sudden illness or injury. With quick access to consultants, specialists and medical treatment, self employed insurance helps you avoid lengthy NHS queues, getting you back on your feet and back to work sooner.
In addition to being diagnosed and receiving treatment sooner, private healthcare also gives you access to top specialists and consultants, private hospitals with ensuite rooms and better facilities; no restriction on visiting times for family and friends and the use of treatment and drugs not readily available on the NHS.
Of course private medical insurance can benefit all individuals but there are added bonuses that could specifically appeal to the self employed:
- Some healthcare providers have a doctor on hand that you can speak to over the phone or via video meaning you don’t need to take time off work to get a GP’s referral.
- Appointments are arranged at a time and place to suit you, working around your business hours.
- The whole process from initial consultation to treatment is speeded up meaning you take less time off work, therefore reducing the damage to your income and work load.
- Some plans offer discounts for gym membership helping you stay fit and healthy.
- You can get medical insurance for self employed people that includes some international medical insurance cover which may be useful if you travel with work.
Basically self employed health insurance helps you manage your illness or injury so it has the least impact on your business possible.
Can I switch health insurance providers?
How does medical insurance for self employed people work?
Choosing the best health insurance for self employed individuals depends on the insurance company and personal situation and requirements.
In addition to individual and family health insurance plans, some providers also offer specific self employed medical insurance policies or private healthcare for small businesses.
Others like WPA for example offer discounts on health care plans for self employed people and in some instances, this also extends to their families.
So with WPA, self employed customers receive a 20% discount that is extended to family health insurance too.
Health insurance options for self employed people are at the end of the day similar to any private healthcare plan. You choose from the following 3 core elements than add additional services as required:
- In-patient cover
- Day-patient cover
- Out-patient cover
The majority of plans offer inpatient care but you may need to upgrade to a slightly more comprehensive health insurance plan if you also want day and out-patient support.