What is a direct cremation?
0800 133 7656
Direct cremation is a simple cremation without a funeral service. An affordable, dignified disposal of the body that is fuss free and saves money on funeral costs. A direct cremation is usually unattended however the ashes are returned to family so they can say goodbye in a more relaxing environment.
How does direct cremation work?
Direct Cremation or direct funeral as it is also known is a simple, low cost alternative to a traditional funeral, suitable for those looking to save money and avoid the upset of funeral service. Here’s how cremation without a funeral works:
- The deceased is collected by the company arranging the direct funeral
- They are taken back to their premises and cared for until the time of the cremation
- The death is registered by the family
- The service provider completes the paperwork legally required for a UK cremation
- The deceased is placed in a simple coffin and transported to the crematorium
- Cremation takes place. The crematorium, date and time of cremation are chosen by the company
- The ashes are either scattered at the crematorium garden of remembrance or returned to family – whichever you prefer
What's the difference between cremation and direct cremation?
The main difference between cremation and direct cremation is the service. With a traditional cremation, a service is held at the crematorium for friends and family to attend. With direct cremation, there is no cremation service and no attendees. The deceased is simply collected, cremated and the ashes returned to family.