Aviva health insurance review
- Flexible payment options to suit most budgets
- Multiple types of healthcare available
- Medical Insurance provided by the UK's largest insurer
- Our independent review of the Aviva Health Plan could help you decide whether it's the right plan.
In this review: We look at the benefits of an Aviva plan, the level of cover and whether they are competitive compared to the whole market
Aviva is the UK’s largest insurance company and one of the biggest in Europe with a history going back over 300 years. Aviva has over 31 million customers worldwide of which approximately 16 million are in the UK.
They offer a wide portfolio of products covering insurance, investments, retirement and healthcare.
The Aviva brand was launched in 2002 and it represents the merger of previous household-name major insurers such as Norwich Union, Commercial Union and General Accident.
For your peace of mind Aviva are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
How much does Aviva health insurance cost?
||Get a quote
|Aviva (6 week NHS option)
|Health-on-line (6 week NHS option)
Based on male non smoker aged 50 yrs of age - no health questions answered. This is for comparison purposes only & you should obtain a personal health quotation as policies do vary. Correct as at 31/03/2020
The Aviva health insurance options
They offer a range of 5 health insurance plans, all of them offering flexibility within them.
Private health insurance
Perhaps the most familiar to many, this type of cover allows access to medical specialists and treatment in locations and timescales that suit you. It is typically regarded as a supplement to the treatment offered by the NHS, who will still provide things such as Accident and Emergency services etc.
This type of policy supplements the treatments available through the NHS and does not seek to replace them.
It offers cancer patients cover for things such as enhanced private nursing, a direct GP contact helpline, a one-off payment of £5,000 upon diagnosis and importantly, up to £100,000 towards the cost of any drug treatment that is not financed by the NHS.
Aviva health insurance cancer cover starts from £1.68 a month.
Child Health Essentials
If your child is ill, this policy will provide online and telephone access to GPs and paediatricians.
It also offers an immediate cash payment of £5,000 if your child is diagnosed with cancer
A contribution of £25 per night (to a maximum of £250) towards your additional accommodation and food costs if you’re staying nearby while they’re in hospital.
Cover starts form £9 a month.
Joint and muscular pain can be severely debilitating. This policy offers you up to 5 phone consultations per year with an expert in the field. A face-to-face diagnostic session and a home treatment regime may also be provided in certain cases.
In other instances, the specialist may write a letter to your NHS doctor stating their findings and recommending further treatment.
International Aviva health insurance
This is a policy designed for worldwide health insurance for those going overseas for a period of time and who wish to ensure that they’re covered for additional medical expenses while they’re there.
This is a largely bespoke policy with a highly variable range of benefits. It’s usually necessary to make further enquiries by phone in order to discuss your unique situation.
Compare health insurance quotes
What's covered in the Aviva health insurance plan
From this point on, we’ll be looking exclusively at the private health insurance plan option, which may be useful if you are comparing health insurance quotes, as this type of plan is the most popular.
Outpatient Treatments include:
- Consultations with a fee approved specialist
- Electrocardiograms (ECG)
- Cancer treatment and palliative care
Inpatient treatments include:
- Hospital fees at a private hospital on your list
- Specialists' fees up to the limits of our fee schedule
- Diagnostic tests
- Cancer treatment
Additional optional extras
- Protected no claim discount
- Other treatments and therapies referred by your GP
- Dental and optical cover
- Extended hospital list
- Mental health treatment
Options to reduce your premiums
- A member excess, payable towards the cost of your claims
- Reduced hospital lists
- Reduced out-patient cover
- Six week option, which means you won’t be able to claim for in-patient or day-patient treatment, NHS cash benefit, NHS cancer cash benefit, or the cost of an amenity bed, if the NHS can treat you within six weeks from the date your specialist recommends it.
Our team will be happy to talk you through these if you are unsure.
As with all plans there some exclusions depending on your lifestyle and medical history; our health insurance adviser will advise you if any apply to you.
Does the plan cover existing medical conditions?
If you have an existing health insurance plan and looking to change your provider, Aviva will assess each case individually - our independent broker at Hannah will be able to advise you 01933 447251.
If you don't have any existing health insurance cover and you have an existing medical condition you will not be automatically accepted. Although once you have taken out the plan if you don't receive medication, treatment, have tests for or advice about the condition for 2 years the exclusion will not apply.
Reasons why you may consider the Aviva health insurance plan
- the reassurance of knowing that you’re dealing with one of the world’s largest insurers
- Stress counselling helpline available 24 hours a day
- Free cover for younger children when you take out the "Healthier Solutions" policy
- a highly flexible and customisable product
- very fast access to specialist diagnostic services and treatment
- 24Hr access to a GP
- a special cancer pledge offering a range of supportive care and assistance options
- 25% discount on selected gym and health club membership fees