Distinct Cremations review 2023
- Prepaid plan prices start from £1,595
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- On average 60% cheaper than a traditional funeral
- Crematoriums located throughout England, Wales and mainland Scotland
Distinct Cremations is a specialist provider of direct cremation services. In addition to providing dignified simple cremations for those who have just died, they also offer prepaid funeral plans for people looking to plan ahead.
In this review: To help you compare Distinct Cremations funeral plans, we look at the options available, the benefits, things to consider and how your money is held.
Once you have read the Distinct Cremations review, you can see how they compare with other FCA regulated plan providers or read the rest of our direct cremation prepaid funeral plan reviews.
Who is Distinct Cremations?
Distinct Cremations is a dedicated direct cremation service provider. As part of the Westerleigh Group, they have 30 years’ experience and are one of the UK’s largest funeral and cremation service provider.
The service they provide uses their own crematoriums, located throughout England, Wales and mainland Scotland and they pride themselves on offering a high quality service with transparent pricing.
What prepaid funeral plans do Distinct Cremations offer?
In addition to two prepaid funeral plans, Distinct Cremations also provides a simple dignified cremation for someone who has just passed away.
Here’s how the two options work:
Distinct Cremations for someone who has just died
Prices to arrange an unattended cremation for someone who has just died start from £895. This includes collection from hospital within working hours throughout mainland Great Britain, cremation fees, doctor’s fees if required, a simple coffin and urn and ashes either scattered on the garden of remembrance or hand delivered to family.
Further services such as collection out of hours or from home are available at an additional cost.
In addition to an unattended cremation, Distinct Cremations also offer a Private Cremation from £1,295 that includes a 10 minute service for up to 8 people and traditional funeral services that include a funeral service.
Call 0800 086 1882 to arrange an immediate cremation.
Distinct Cremations for those looking to plan ahead
In addition to providing funeral services for someone who has just passed away, Distinct Cremations also offer two direct cremation funeral plans that range from £1,595 to £1,895:
- Unattended direct cremation funeral plan
- Intimate cremation funeral plan
Unattended direct cremation funeral plan – provides a simple fuss free cremation without a funeral service
It includes collection anywhere throughout mainland UK 24 hours a day; cremation fees and doctor’s fees if they apply, a simple coffin and urn and the ashes either hand delivered back to family or scattered on the garden of remembrance.
Intimate cremation funeral plan – a simple cremation that allows for up to 8 people to attend a 10 minute service
This includes collection anywhere throughout mainland UK 24 hours a day; cremation fees and doctor’s fees if they apply, a simple coffin and urn, a 10 minute morning service at the crematorium for up to 8 people and the ashes either hand delivered back to family or scattered on the garden of remembrance.
Distinct Cremations funeral plan 'need to knows'
In addition to looking at the advantages of a prepaid funeral, it’s worth reviewing the possible drawbacks too. *Here we list the benefits of a Distinct Cremation funeral plan and important information on the way plans work, to help you consider if it’s the best funeral plan for you.
- 2 plans to choose from
- Collection 24 hours a day from anywhere in mainland UK
- Guarantees all the services required for a direct cremation
- Includes a single doctor’s fee if required
- Hand delivery of the ashes within 14 days
- Incudes a simple coffin and urn
- Removal of pacemaker where necessary at no extra cost
- Authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Uses a network of Westerleigh crematoriums located throughout the UK
- With instalment direct cremation plans you are covered for the services included in the plan after 12 months. As long as your payments are up to date, your services as listed will be provided with nothing more for your family to pay.
Important to know
- If you pay by instalments and die within the first 12 months, you will not be covered for the services included in your plan. Instead, the money paid into the plan would be fully refunded
- Instalments over 5 and 10 years incur additional charges
- You cannot choose the crematorium. The cremation takes place in a Westerleigh Crematorium in your region where possible
- Your plan is at risk if you don’t keep up with the payments and there is no cash in value
- Unless you choose the intimate cremation, there is no funeral service
*Please note, the above information is based on prepaid funeral plans only
Distinct Cremations reviews by their customers
Distinct Cremations funeral plans are reviewed and rated as 4.9 out of 5 for customer experience on the independent review website Feefo.
Distinct Cremations reviews by the industry
In addition to customer reviews, Distinct Cremations funeral plans have been reviewed by independent researcher of financial products Defaqto.
What happens to my money with Distinct Cremations funeral plans?
Distinct Cremations is a trading style of Distinct Funeral Plans Ltd which is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
When you pay for a Distinct Cremations plan in full or over 12 months, your money is held in an independently managed trust fund. For 5 and 10 year instalments, your money is paid into a whole of life insurance policy, provided by FCA authorised Scottish Friendly.
Plus, for added protection, should any issues arise, you have the support of the Financial Services Ombudsman and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
How can I pay for a Distinct Cremations funeral plan?
You can pay for a Distinct Cremations funeral plan either in one go or by monthly instalments. Here’s how each payment option works:
Paying in one go or over 12 months is the cheapest way to buy a Distinct Cremations funeral plan as you do not incur any additional fees.
If you prefer to spread your premiums over a longer period, 5 and 10 year instalment options are available for anyone between the ages of 50 to 74 years of age. The monthly premiums are based on age and held securely in a whole of life insurance policy until required to pay for the services as detailed in the plan.
As long as your payments are up to date, you are covered for the services included in the plan after 12 months, regardless of whether you have completed the full 5 or 10 year payments.
Am I eligible for a Distinct Cremations funeral plan?
You are eligible for a Distinct Cremations funeral plan as long as you are at least 18 years of age and pay either in one go or over 12 months.
For a 5 or 10 years instalment plan, you need to be between 50 to 75 years old when buying the plan.
Can I cancel my plan?
If you pay in full or over 12 months, you can cancel your plan at any time and receive a full refund.
If you choose a 5 or 10 year instalment plan, your money will be refunded if you cancel within the first 12 months. After this period, no money would be refunded.
What happens to my funeral plan if I move home?
As Distinct Cremations collect anywhere throughout mainland UK, as long as you are within this area your services can be provided. Just contact the company to advise them of your new address.
What should I do now?
Now you have read the Distinct Cremations funeral plan review, you may want to:
- Compare prepaid direct cremation plans with other FCA regulated providers
- See how other companies compare with our direct cremation plan reviews
- Find out more about simple funeral plan with our guide to direct cremation