Dignity Funeral Plans Review
- Flexibility to create your own plan
- Prices start from £995
- Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Instalments with full cover after 12 months*
Dignity funeral plans are provided by one of the UKs leading and most trusted funeral plan providers. They also provide funeral plans for Age Co (formally Age UK) and funeral services for many over 50 life insurance providers.
In this review: To help you compare plans, we look at how Dignity funeral plans work, the advantages and disadvantages, how you can pay for a plan and how your money is held.
Once you have read the Dignity funeral plan review, you can see how they compare with other FCA regulated plan providers or read our other prepaid funeral plan reviews.
Who is Dignity?
Dignity PLC is a market leading funeral service provider, who launched the first funeral plan in 1985.
In addition to providing funeral plans, Dignity also own their own funeral directors located throughout the country and they are largest single operator of crematoriums, that operate under the Crematorium and Memorial Group.
Dignity also offer direct cremation plans through their low cost funeral plan brand, Simplicity Cremations which are currently being updated and will be released later on in the year.
What prepaid funeral plans do Dignity offer?
Dignity’s new range of funeral plans can be tailored to suit your personal needs and budget. Instead of fixed plans with a specific set of services, Dignity give you the option to choose the services you want.
All of the services included in the plan are guaranteed and you can add a contribution for additional services if you wish.
For example, their pick and mix approach allows you to decide whether you want:
- A funeral service
- To nominate a funeral director (Dignity owned)
- Burial or cremation
- To choose the crematorium
- A family, funeral director or minister led service
- A hearse, horse drawn hearse, limousines and coffin bearers
You can also choose your preferred coffin and decide how you would like your ashes returned.
Some of the options are included as part of their standard offering whereas other options cost more to add to the plan.
How much does a Dignity funeral plan cost?
Dignity direct cremation without a service
The cheapest Dignity funeral plan is a simple direct cremation without a funeral services with prices starting from £995.
Dignity traditional funeral plans with a service
The cost of more traditional funeral plans with a funeral service for family and friends to attend will depend on the services you choose to include.
For example, a midrange plan that includes the funeral directors help and guidance with the documentation, collection and transportation of deceased 24 hours a day within a 50 mile radius, use of the chapel of rest, a standard coffin, a hearse, cremation fees, the minister or officiant’s fees and would cost around £3,210.
In addition to the main services, you can also choose to add a contribution to help towards the cost of:
- Photography or videography
- A memorial
This contribution is held in the trust fund and will increase in line with CPI. When the time comes, these funds will be used to pay for the services as requested in your plan. If there are insufficient funds available, the person organising the funeral will need to pay the balance. Likewise, if there are funds remaining, these will be paid back to the estate.
Dignity funeral plan need to knows
In addition to looking at the benefits of a prepaid funeral, it’s worth reviewing the possible drawbacks too. Here we look the main points of a Dignity funeral plan to help you consider if it’s the best funeral plan for you.
Benefits of a Dignity funeral plan
- Plans can be tailored to suit your needs
- All of the services included in the plan are guaranteed
- Cremation fees and burial fees are also guaranteed
- Collection of the deceased within a 50 mile radius, 24 hours a day
- Wide network of Dignity owned funeral directors throughout the UK
- Authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Can be used for either cremation or burial (apart from the direct cremation plan)
- Flexibility to personalise the plan and add additional services (extra cost)
- You can spread the cost between 1 and 5 years without incurring additional fees
- You get a discount for paying in one go with a single payment
Important to know
- If you die within the first 12 months of an instalment plan, you won’t be covered for the services included in the plan (unless you die as a result of an accident). Instead, as long as your payments are up to date, the person arranging the funeral can either pay the balance so Dignity can provide the services, or cancel the plan to get a full refund.
- You have to use Dignity owned funeral director
- Doctor’s fees if required are not included
- You could pay more for collection if outside the 50 mile radius
- Doesn’t include additional funeral costs such as flowers, a memorial, orders of service or the wake (although you can pay a contribution towards these services)
- The cost of a burial plot is not included
Dignity reviews by their customers
Dignity funeral plans are reviewed by their customers on independent review website Feefo. They have a customer experience rating of 4.7 out of 5 and have won the 2022 Feefo Platinum Award for excellent service.
Dignity reviews by the industry
In addition to customer reviews on Feefo, Dignity funeral plans have also been reviewed by consumer champions Which and independent researcher of financial products Defaqto. Just look at their websites for details.
How is my money held with a Dignity funeral plan?
Dignity funeral plans are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. When you buy a Dignity funeral plan, your money is held in their independently managed trust fund until it is required to pay for your funeral services.
Plus, as an FCA authorised company, should the need arise, your money is also protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
How can I pay for a Dignity funeral plan?
You can pay for a Dignity funeral plan either in one go or by monthly instalments. Here’s how each payment option works:
Paying in one go or spreading the cost over 12 months is the cheapest way to buy a Dignity funeral plan as you don’t incur any additional fees.
If you prefer to spread the cost, monthly instalments are available up to 5 years. You do not incur any additional instalment fees and will receive a discount if you decide to pay the plan off early with a single payment. All payments must be complete by the time you are 85.
*As long as your payments are up to date, you are covered for your chosen funeral services after the first 12 months. If you were to die after this period but before you have completed your instalments, the services as detailed in the plan would be provided and Dignity would cover the outstanding balance.
Am I eligible for a Dignity funeral plan?
Dignity funeral plans are available to anyone who is 18 years of age or older.
Although the is no upper age limit, if you choose an instalment plan, your monthly payments must be complete by your 85th birthday, which may limit the terms available to you.
Can I choose either a burial or cremation service?
All Dignity funeral plans that include a service can be used for cremation or burial. The plans can be tailored to suit your needs and these fees are guaranteed, regardless of which option you choose.
Can I cancel my plan?
You can cancel a Dignity funeral plan at any time and receive a full refund.
Who will my funeral director be?
When you choose a Dignity funeral plan, you can nominate which funeral director you would like from their network of privately owned companies.
What happens to my funeral plan if I move home?
If you move home your Dignity funeral plan moves with you at no extra cost. Just advise them of your new address and they will allocate a new nominated funeral director to your plan.
What should I do now?
Now you have read the Dignity funeral plan review, you may want:
- Compare FCA regulated plans
- See how other companies compare with our funeral plan reviews
- Find out more about direct cremation by reading our guide and company reviews