What is included in a funeral plan?
Most plan providers offer three or four levels of service. The cover in each is comprised of two elements;
- The funeral directors services
- Third party fees – otherwise known as disbursements
The funeral directors services included will depend on the level of service you choose but typically include:
- Collection and care of the deceased
- The funeral directors help and guidance with all the documentation
- Their services on the day
- The use of the chapel of rest
- A coffin
- The hearse
- Limousine(s) for the family
The third party fees are the essential charges that are beyond the control of the funeral director, namely the:
- Cremation or Burial fees
- The minister or officiant’s fees for conducting the service
- Doctors charges if a second death certificate is required*
All funeral plans include a full guarantee for the funeral directors services listed however the majority of providers only include an allowance towards the cremation and minister’s fees.
With these types of ‘contribution’ style plan, your family could face a shortfall and as a result have more to pay when the time comes. Therefore when choosing a plan, it is important to look at what is and most importantly what isn’t guaranteed.
Request a funeral plan guide